Asuncion, Paraguay – Following its general assembly, the Global Federation of Insurance Associations (GFIA) has announced the election of its executive committee (ExCo).
- Governor Dirk Kempthorne, president and chief executive officer of the American Council of Life Insurers, as president.
- Recaredo Arias, director general of the Association of Mexican Insurance Companies, as vice-president.
- Michaela Koller, director general of Insurance Europe, as secretary general.
- Frank Swedlove, president of the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, as past president.
- Robert Whelan, executive director and chief executive officer of the Insurance Council of Australia, as membership executive.
New additions to the ExCo include Bachir Baddou, general manager of the Moroccan Insurance Association, who was elected as a regional representative on the executive committee, and Toyonari Sasaki, vice chairman of the Life Insurance Association of Japan, who was elected as GFIA’s treasurer.
GFIA president, Governor Dirk Kempthorne, commented: "I feel privileged to have been elected to the role of GFIA president. I am so encouraged to be able to continue to work alongside such distinguished colleagues in the Global Federation’s ExCo. With this continuity of leadership, and with all our colleagues from the general assembly, the Global Federation will continue to be a key voice for insurance and reinsurance globally on behalf of our member companies and significantly, the consumers. We are all dedicated to the well being and dignity of consumers worldwide.”
GFIA has also announced that the Turkish Insurance Association has become a member. Robert Whelan, membership executive, said: "It is with great pleasure that we welcome our colleagues in the Turkish Insurance Association into the federation, and we look forward to their contributions to our discussions.”